- Crabs are decapod crustaceans which have a very short tail and are covered with a thick shell, or exoskeleton and are armed with a single pair of claws.
- Crabs are invertebrates (animals without a backbone). Their exoskeleton protects them from predators and provides support for their bodies.
- They have flattened bodies, two feeler antennae, and two eyes located on the end of stalks, and they are 10-legged animals that walk sideways.
- There are about 6,793 species of crab found in all of the oceans around the world, in fresh water and there are also some terrestrial crabs (ones that live entirely on land). Many crabs live in the tropical regions.
- Crabs can be as small as the pea crab which is only a few millimeters wide to the Japanese spider crab which can have a leg span up to 4 meters (about 13 feet).
- Crabs have five pairs of legs (the first pair are known as the claws).
- Crabs are omnivores (eats both plants and animals) and some feed primarily on algae, others feed on mollusks, worms, crustaceans, fungi, bacteria, and organic non-living material.
- 1 million tons of crabs are being eaten annually in restaurants and homes all over the world.
- Marine crabs breathe underwater using gills. Land crabs have two cavities that act like lungs and allow them to breathe air.
- After they mate, the blue crab and others, deposit two million eggs and in a two week period the eggs will develop into larva.
Download the Crab Study Pack
Included in This Study Pack (PDF Format)
- Study Guide & Fact File
- Fill in the Blank Quiz Sheet
- Word Search
- Which Crab Am I? Game
This is a free study pack for all KidsKonnect members to download, print, and use.
You need to be logged in to download this worksheet. Login now or signup for a free KidsKonnect membership to get instant access!
Blue Crab Archives
Fun Place: Hermit Crabs
Hermit Crabs & Their Crab-Alike Allies
Horseshoe Crab or King Crab
Horseshoe Crab: Mystic Aquarium
Horseshoe Crabs: Facts and Figures
Introducing the Hermit Crab
Land Crabs of the Seychelles Islands
Maryland Blue Crab
National Marine Sanctuary
Pelagic Crabs, Red Crabs
Red Rock Crab
Red Rock Crab1
Sea Shell Shop: Hermit Crabs
Shrimp, Crabs & Crayfish
The Horsehoe Crab