Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
Black Friday is an annual shopping day that falls after Thanksgiving in the United States of America. Every year, people take advantage of the heavily discounted items that shops put up for sale. For many people, Black Friday signals the beginning of the Christmas shopping period.
See the fact file below for more information about Black Friday or alternatively you can download our comprehensive worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment.
- Black Friday always occurs on the day after Thanksgiving. It is the last Friday of the month of November.
- Black Friday is not a national holiday, although many employers give their workers this day off work in addition to Thanksgiving Thursday.
- Black Friday is also known as ‘The Day After Thanksgiving’.
- It’s believed that Black Friday originated in Philadelphia in the early 1960s.
- The name supposedly originates from the moment in the year when retailers begin to turn a profit, and so go from their takings being in the ‘red’ to in the ‘black’.
- Since about 2005, Black Friday has always been the busiest shopping day of the year.
- In recent years, Black Friday has become less important as shops choose to offer discounts over the whole of November and December, and not just on Black Friday.
- Many retailers open their stores from 4 or 5am to entice customers in to get the best deals. Some stores, including Target and Macy’s, open at midnight on Thanksgiving.
- Some retailers even open on Thanksgiving Day itself. This day has become known as ‘Black Thursday’ or ‘Gray Thursday’ by some.
- Many people in the USA will camp outside shops to ensure they are the first customers into the store on Black Friday.
- Because of the number of people trying to bag the bargains, Black Friday often becomes violent and people are injured. Since 2006 there have even been 7 deaths as a result of Black Friday hysteria.
- In 2008, 20,000 shoppers tried to enter a Wal-Mart store in New York, and a shop employee died in the stampede.
- In 2010, shoppers carrying knives and guns were arrested in Wisconsin, Florida and Indianapolis.
- In 2011, people waiting to buy a discounted Xbox 360 in California were sprayed with pepper spray by one desperate customer.
- Black Friday has only recently become a phenomenon in the UK. It wasn’t until 2014 that the day became an event for British shoppers.
Black Friday Worksheets
This bundle contains 11 ready-to-use Black Friday Worksheets that are perfect for students who want to learn more about Black Friday which is an annual shopping day that falls after Thanksgiving in the United States of America. Every year, people take advantage of the heavily discounted items that shops put up for sale.
Download includes the following worksheets:
- Black Friday Facts
- What is Black Friday?
- Black Friday Word Search
- Black Friday Timeline
- My Black Friday Story
- Pros and Cons
- Black Friday Tips
- Black Friday Around the World
- The Day After Thanksgiving
- Arrange Me!
- Black Friday Poster
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as Black Friday 2019 Facts & Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, June 2, 2019
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.