Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
The Tropic of Cancer, also referred to as the Northern Tropic, is currently 23°26′13.1″ (or 23.43698°) north of the equator. It is the most northerly circle of latitude on Earth at which the sun can be directly overhead.
Below are some interesting facts about the Tropic of Cancer or alternatively you can download our comprehensive worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment.
- The Tropic of Cancer, or Northern tropic is one of the five major circles of latitude that mark maps of the Earth.
- It is the parallel of latitude that lies currently 23 degrees 26′ 22″ north of the equator. It is the northernmost point on Earth where the sun’s rays can appear directly overhead at local noon.
- It is the farthest northern latitude at which the sun can appear directly overhead, which occurs on the June solstice.
- North of this line is the subtropics and Northern Temperate Zone. The Tropic of Capricorn is at the opposite latitude south of the equator.
- The tropics, which includes the Tropic of Cancer, account for 36 percent of the Earth’s landmass and are home to about a third of the world’s population.
- The tropics are warm all-year-round, averaging 25 to 28 degrees Celsius (77 to 82 degrees Fahrenheit). This is because the tropics get more exposure to the sun.
- The Tropic of Cancer was named because at the time of its naming, the sun was positioned in the Cancer constellation during the June solstice.
- The Tropic of Cancer is significant to the Earth’s amount of solar insolation and the creation of seasons. Solar insolation is the amount of incoming solar radiation on the Earth.
Tropic Of Cancer Worksheets
This bundle contains 9 ready-to-use Tropic Of Cancer Worksheets that are perfect for students who want to learn more about the Tropic of Cancer, also referred to as the Northern Tropic, which is currently 23°26′13.1″ (or 23.43698°) north of the equator. It is the most northerly circle of latitude on Earth at which the sun can be directly overhead.
Download includes the following worksheets:
- Tropic of Cancer Facts
- June 21st – Winter x Summer Coloring
- On this Day
- The Origin
- Tropic of Cancer Geo – Africa Coloring
- Asian Tropics
- Western Letter Decode
- TOC Weather – Tropics Season
- Sunny and Rainy
- Key Answers
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as Tropic Of Cancer Facts & Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, October 23, 2017
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.