Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
Table of Contents
Students may already be able to identify shapes and their names from practicing with flashcards; however, they may not know or understand the properties of each shape. It is important to focus on explaining why a given shape is the one it is.. At the end of the lesson, students will be able to correctly name 10 2D shapes.
See the fact file below for more information on the naming 2D shapes or alternatively, you can download our 28-page Geometry: Naming 2D Shapes CCSS K.G.2a worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment.
Key Facts & Information
- At the end of the lesson, students will be able to correctly name 10 2D shapes regardless of their orientations or overall size. Students will understand that 2D shapes are flat.
A NOTE FOR THE TEACHER
- When teaching students the names and properties of 2D shapes, try the following in your lesson:
- Start by establishing vocabulary for basic 2D shapes.
- Once the vocabulary is established, then move on to describing the properties of each shape.
- Then, introduce shapes of different sizes and orientations, and angles.
- Students may already be able to identify shapes and their names from practicing with flashcards; however, they may not know or understand the properties of each shape. It is important to focus on explaining why a given shape is the one it is. This way, it doesn’t matter what size or orientation a shape is; students will still be able to correctly identify it. Students must also understand that a two-dimensional shape is flat. You can demonstrate this by holding up shapes cut from colored cards.
- LET’S LEARN SHAPES AND THEIR PROPERTIES!
Geometry: Naming 2D Shapes CCSS K.G.2a Worksheets
This is a fantastic bundle that includes everything you need to know about Geometry: Naming 2D Shapes across 28 in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use worksheets that align with the Common Core CCSS code K.G.2a for Geometry: Naming 2D Shapes.
Table of contents:
- A lesson plan
- Warm-up activity
- Math theory explained
- Assisted learning activities
- Independent learning activities
- Extension activities and games
- Answer keys
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as Geometry: Naming 2D Shapes CCSS K.G.2a Facts & Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, July 23, 2021
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.