Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
In mathematics, we often encounter word problems ranging from basic problems asking for the total to complex word problems wherein we need to solve for a supplementary equation or problem first, before we get to solve for the main problem.
See the fact file below for more information on the problems involving addition and subtraction or alternatively, you can download our 30-page Problems Involving Addition and Subtraction worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment.
Key Facts & Information
KNOW WHAT IS BEING ASKED
- For young learners, the best way to understand a word problem is to read the word problem aloud.
- Anna has 10 apples. Her friend, Tamiya, gave her 11 oranges. How many fruits does Anna have in all?
- Throughout the discussion, we will use the word problem above.
- Now, read the sample word problem aloud. Then, identify the question or what is being asked in the problem.
- In the sample word problem, what we want to answer is the question “How many fruits does Anna have in all?”
- To know what is being asked, we have to look for some keywords.
- Some common keywords for addition and subtraction word problems are listed above.
- Notice that the keyword “in all” can be seen in the word problem.
- Therefore, we need to use addition.
BREAK DOWN THE WORD PROBLEM
- Now that we know what is being asked, we have to break down the word problem into segments or parts for us to have a better grasp and understanding of the problem.
WRITE THE EQUATION
- Now that we know what is being asked and the given phrases, we can translate the phrases that we have into a mathematical equation.
- First, we have the phrase that Anna currently has 10 apples.
- Then, we also know that we have to do addition based on the question being asked in the problem.
- We also know that Anna’s friend, Tamiya, gave her 11 oranges.
- Then, using addition we have to find the total number of fruits that Anna has.
SOLVE THE EQUATION
- Now that we have the mathematical equation, we can now proceed with the usual mathematical way of solving the problem.
TWO-STEP WORD PROBLEMS
- For two-step word problems, we can treat them as normal word problems. The only difference is that we have to solve for something first before we get to solve for the actual problem.
- Erin has 10 more apples than Anna. Anna has 13 apples. How many apples do they have in total?
- We know that the question being asked is the total number of apples that Erin and Anna both have.
- But as of the moment, we have no idea how many apples Erin has.
- We only know that the quantity of apples that Erin has is 10 more than the quantity of apples that Anna has.
- From the word problem presented, we know that Anna has 13 apples.
- Now, we know that Erin has 23 apples.
- Since we already know the quantity of apples Erin has, we can now proceed into solving the main question.
- How many apples do they have in total?
- They have 36 apples in total.
Problems Involving Addition and Subtraction Worksheets
This is a fantastic bundle which includes everything you need to know about the problems involving addition and subtraction across 30 in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use Problems Involving Addition and Subtraction worksheets that are perfect for teaching students about the Problems Involving Addition and Subtraction. In mathematics, we often encounter word problems ranging from basic problems asking for the total to complex word problems wherein we need to solve for a supplementary equation or problem first, before we get to solve for the main problem.
Complete List Of Included Worksheets
- Lesson Plan
- Problems Involving Addition and Subtraction
- Take Away
- Sum Them
- The Blocks
- Four Parts
- Answer Them All
- Find The One
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as Problems Involving Addition and Subtraction Facts & Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, May 6, 2020
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.