Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
Addition and subtraction can both be applied in solving problems involving lengths. In this lesson, we will talk about how to add and subtract lengths within 100.
See the fact file below for more information on the relation of addition and subtraction to length or alternatively, you can download our 30-page Relation of Addition and Subtraction to Length worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment.
Key Facts & Information
- First, we will have a refresher about the number line.
- Remember that a number line is usually arranged in increasing order, from left to right.
- Also, if we do addition, we move from left to right. For subtraction, we move from right to left.
- For example, we have a rectangle that measures 5 units. Then, we have another rectangle that measures 7 units.
- If we add the lengths of the two bars, we will get a length of 12.
- If we do subtraction, taking away 5 from 7, we will get 2.
- Next, we can imagine the number line as a ruler.
- Since we already have an idea of how to use the number line, transitioning to using a ruler is an easy task.
- We can just look at the numbers according to their units.
- A ruler usually measures in either inches or both inches and centimeters.
- Moving on, now that we know how to use the number line and rulers, let’s discuss how to solve word problems involving lengths.
- In a jumping competition, Tom jumped 36 inches. Anthony jumped 28 inches. How much farther did Tom jump than Anthony?
- Since we are looking for the value that would give us how much farther Tom jumped than Anthony, we have to perform subtraction.
- We have to take away 28 from 36 to know the difference.
Relation of Addition and Subtraction to Length Worksheets
This is a fantastic bundle which includes everything you need to know about the relation of addition and subtraction to length across 30 in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use Relation of Addition and Subtraction to Length worksheets that are perfect for teaching students about addition and subtraction which can both be applied in solving problems involving lengths. In this lesson, we will talk about how to add and subtract lengths within 100.
Complete List Of Included Worksheets
- Lesson Plan
- Relation of Addition and Subtraction to Length
- Hop Hop Hop
- Missing Numbers
- Add Lengths
- What To Do?
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as Relation of Addition and Subtraction to Length Facts & Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, May 6, 2020
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.