Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
Table of Contents
Auguste and Louis Lumière were the two greatest pioneers in cinema. They are considered the earliest filmmakers in history as they developed the “cinèmatographe” with which they made the first motion picture. The brothers also made significant advances in photography, art, and medicine.
See the fact file below for more information on the Auguste and Louis Lumière or alternatively, you can download our 24-page Auguste and Louis Lumière worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment.
Key Facts & Information
- Auguste and Louis Lumière were sons of Antoine Lumière, a famous portrait painter and award-winning photographer. Auguste Marie Louis Nicolas Lumière was born on October 19, 1862, and Louis Jean Lumière was born on October 5, 1864, and both were from Besancon, France.
- At an early age, the Lumière brothers were already surrounded by photography and art and developed intelligence about technology. They attended La Martiniere College, the largest technical school in the city, in 1870.
- The Lumière brothers also worked for their father’s photographic firm, Louis as the physicist and Auguste as the manager. While they were working, Louis started experimenting with equipment and developed a new ‘dry’ process in 1881. This process became a big help in the development of photography.
- The Lumière brothers became famous businessmen because of the new photography process. As a result, Auguste Lumière was invited to demonstrate Thomas Edison’s Peephole Kinetoscope in Paris.
THE PIONEERS OF MOTION PICTURES
- In 1894, when Auguste attended the Paris exhibition, he also observed the Kinetoscope’s mechanisms. A kinetoscope is a film-viewing device referred to as the first movie projector.
- As a result, Auguste discussed everything about it with Louis, and they quickly studied how to improve the instrument. The Lumière brothers pointed out the main problems of Edison’s Kinetoscope, including it being bulky and only being able to show a motion picture to one person at a time.
- The Lumière brothers solved Edison’s problem by inventing the ‘cinèmatographe’, a device that combines a camera with a printer and a projector. It also produces intermittent movement to display motion pictures for an audience.
- The ‘cinèmatographe’ was lightweight and could be operated by a hand crank. It also allows multiple viewers to watch at one time. The device was also licensed in February 1895.
- On December 28, 1895, the Lumière brothers screened their first short film, entitled ‘La Sortie’. The story portrayed workers leaving a factory and lasted for 50 seconds. The short film was also considered the first motion picture in the world of cinema.
THE BIGGER PICTURE
- Over the following years, the Lumière brothers started to create more motion pictures and licensed many different film processes. These included film perforations that served as a means for advancing film through the projector.
- In the 1890s, Lumière and sons were considered the second leading photographic company in the world (Eastman Kodak was the first).
- In 1896, the Lumière brothers created more than 40 films that greatly influenced pop culture. The films portrayed everyday French life; a child looking at a goldfish, soldiers marching, a blacksmith, and a baby being fed.
- The films also include the Footage of French Photographic Society and Lyon Fire Department; they became the world’s first documentary. Their audiences were fascinated by seeing life’s moments unfolding on the big screen.
- The Lumière brothers also trained a team of cameramen to show their films and capture new material all over the world. The brothers opened cinèmatographe theaters all over London, Brussels, and New York.
- The brothers’ films also continued to grow, and reached about 2,000 films in the 1900s.
THE AUTOCHROME OF LUMIERE BROTHERS
- After their great accomplishments and inventions in film and the cinèmatographe, the Lumière brothers decided to focus their attention more on photography because they believed that ‘cinema is an invention without any future’.
- In 1907, the Lumière brothers developed the first practical color photography process, known as the “Autochrome Lumière”. The brothers’ company, Lumière Company, continued to be a major supplier, throughout Europe, of photographic products in the 20th century.
- After their developments and inventions in photography, the brothers started to focused on different things. Louis Lumière began having an interest in stereoscopy, 3D imaging, and stereoscopic films throughout the 1930s. On the other hand, Auguste Lumière focused on his medical research, including studies about tuberculosis and cancer.
- The Lumière brothers’ accomplishments and inventions are significant up until now. After many years of working, Louis Lumière died on June 6, 1948. Auguste Lumière died six years after Louis, on April 10, 1954.
- The Musee Lumière at the Institute Lumière is a museum that exhibits the accomplishments of Auguste and Louis. It is located at the Lumière factories in Lyon, France.
- The Lumière brothers were not the first and only inventors who made progress towards motion pictures and photography. However, the brothers’ understanding of the technology and mechanisms of cinematography and photography enabled them to make significant advances in the field.
Auguste and Louis Lumière Worksheets
This is a fantastic bundle which includes everything you need to know about Auguste and Louis Lumière across 24 in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use Auguste and Louis Lumière worksheets that are perfect for teaching students about Auguste and Louis Lumière who were the two greatest pioneers in cinema. They are considered the earliest filmmakers in history as they developed the “cinèmatographe” with which they made the first motion picture. The brothers also made significant advances in photography, art, and medicine.
Complete List Of Included Worksheets
- Auguste and Louis Lumière Facts
- The Brothers’ Profile
- Lumiere Brothers’ Timeline
- Jumbled Cinema
- Lumiere Brothers vs Edison
- The Cinematographe
- The Autochrome
- Filling the Shot
- Cinema: Now and Then
- Crossword Snap
- No Future Invention
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as Auguste and Louis Lumière Facts & Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, September 2, 2020
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.