Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
George R.R. Martin is an American fantasy, horror, and science-fiction novelist and short story writer. He also works as a screenwriter and television producer, and he is most famous for his series of epic fantasy novels called A Song of Fire and Ice.
See the fact file below for more information on the George R.R. Martin or alternatively, you can download our 21-page George R.R. Martin worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment.
Key Facts & Information
- George R. R. Martin was born on September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey.
- His father was a longshoreman (a manual laborer who typically unloads ships, trucks, trains, or airplanes), and his mother’s family, who were once rich, lost their family construction business during the Great Depression.
- Martin has two younger sisters named Darleen and Janet.
- Martin has French, Irish, English, Welsh, and German roots.
- Growing up, Martin lived in a house on Broadway that had once belonged to his great-grandmother.
- Due to his limited experiences during childhood, Martin always felt an urge to travel and experience new places. This desire to visit other places around the world provided him with a creative imagination and made him a voracious reader.
- Martin used to write stories, usually monster stories that were accompanied by dramatic readings for the neighborhood children. He would charge them pennies for the pleasure.
- Martin began to write stories more seriously in high school. This is also when his love of comic books grew. In particular, he liked Marvel Comics.
- Later in his career, Martin credited Stan Lee for being one of his greatest literary influences.
- He became an avid collector in high school and started writing fiction for comic fanzines. He bought his first ticket to Comic-Con in New York
City in 1964.
- In 1965, Martin won comic fandom’s “Alley Award” for the Best Fan Fiction. He called it “Powerman vs. The Blue Barrier”.
- Martin went to Northwestern University and obtained a B.S in journalism in 1970, later obtaining his M.S. in journalism in 1971.
- Martin first made a professional sale in 1970 at the age of 21. He sold “The Hero” to Galaxy Comics, and it was published in the February 1971 issue. This became a springboard from which Martin made other sales.
- Although these sales gave him some profit, it wasn’t enough to pay all the bills, so he delved into other areas.
- During the 1970s, Martin did a variety of Things. He directed chess tournaments for the Continental Chess Association, was a journalism instructor at Clarke College in Iowa, wrote part-time, worked as a VISTA volunteer, got married and divorced in the same decade, and finally became a full-time writer in 1979.
- He was a writer-in-residence at Clarke College from 1978-79.
- In 1982, Martin published “one of the greatest vampire novels of all time”, according to literary critics. It was called Fevre Dream.
- Martin signed on as a story editor for The Twilight Zone at CBS in 1986. A year later, he got involved with Beauty and the Beast at the same company.
- In 1991, after taking a short break from writing novels, Martin was back at it. This time, he drew inspiration from J. R. R. Tolkien and began writing an epic fantasy story.
A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE
- Arguably one of Martin’s most popular book series, A Song of Ice and Fire was inspired by the Wars of the Roses. It was originally thought to be comprised of three volumes, but it is currently expected to be comprised of seven volumes in total.
- The series came out in the following order:
- 1) A Game of Thrones, 1996
- 2) A Clash of Kings, 1998
- 3) A Storm of Swords, 2000
- 4) A Feast for Crows, 2005
- 5) A Dance with Dragons, 2011
- 6) The Winds of Winter (planned)
- 7) A Dream of Spring (planned)
- This series was made into a popular TV show on HBO called
Game of Thrones. Martin was heavily involved in many aspects of the adaptation, including the writing and production of the show.
- The series has earned countless Emmy Awards and Hugo Awards.
- Martin is known for his regular attendance at science fiction and comic conventions and is known to be very accessible to fans.
- He and his wife are supporters of animal sanctuaries and are very charitable with their money.
- Martin is a fan of the New York Jets, Giants, and Mets.
- He currently lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and is a member
of Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America.
George R.R. Martin Worksheets
This is a fantastic bundle which includes everything you need to know about the George R.R. Martin across 21 in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use George R.R. Martin worksheets that are perfect for teaching students about George R.R. Martin who is an American fantasy, horror, and science-fiction novelist and short story writer. He also works as a screenwriter and television producer, and he is most famous for his series of epic fantasy novels called A Song of Fire and Ice.
Complete List Of Included Worksheets
- George R. R. Martin Facts
- A Song of Ice and Fire
- George R. R. Martin Crossword
- See, Think, Wonder
- A Cast of Characters
- Design a Book Cover
- A Letter to George R. R. Martin
- My Fantastic Fantasy World
- Character Quote Analysis
- Comparing Genres
- George R. R. Martin Wordsearch
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as George R.R. Martin Facts & Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, May 7, 2020
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.