Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
See the fact file below for more information on Mary Pope Osborne or alternatively, you can download our comprehensive worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment.
- She was born on May 20, 1949, in Fort Sill, Oklahoma.
- Mary’s father was in the military and they moved a lot.
- She grew up in different places such as Virginia, Oklahoma, Florida, and even Austria.
- They finally settled in North Carolina after their relocation from Florida and Austria.
- Mary never felt tired of going places and re-settling time and again.
- She studied drama at the University of North Carolina but later switched majors to comparative religion as she developed interest in different cultures, mythology and religion.
- After college, Mary went on all sorts of adventures and tried various occupations.
- Mary traveled all over Europe and spent the first six weeks of her trip living in a cave on the island of Crete.
- Then, she joined up with a group of European young people and traveled in rickety vans through sixteen Asian countries, including Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and Nepal.
- Mary continued to travel until she suffered from a bad case of food poisoning.
- During her recovery, she spent her time reading Tolkien’s trilogies.
- On her return health and activity, she worked a number of odd jobs before starting off her journey as a writer.
- She worked as an acting teacher, a waitress, a travel agent, a window dresser, and a medical assistant.
- She started writing and ended up getting published and she found what she wanted to do with the rest of her life.
- Mary made her writing debut in 1982 with a young adult novel entitled, Run, Run, As Fast As You Can.
- The novel is about a southern eleven-year-old.
- Before moving into children’s books, she produced several novels for young adults.
- Ten years after her first novel was published, she introduced the Magic Tree House series.
- The series is about a magic tree house filled with books that teleport the two protagonists to the time the books are set in.
- To date, Mary has penned 45 books in the series, which is now renamed Magic Tree House Merlin Missions.
- These books are educational, providing precise geographic and historical details.
- The non-fictional companions to Magic Tree House are composed by her husband Will Osborne and sister Natalie Pope Boyce.
- In addition to children’s book, Mary has also written different genres including mysteries, biographies, stories inspired by Greek and Norse mythology, American tall tales and picture books.
- In February 1993, Mary was elected the 27th president of the Authors Guild, the oldest, most established organization for writers in the United States.
Mary Pope Osborne Worksheets
This bundle includes 11 ready-to-use Mary Pope Osborne worksheets that are perfect for students to learn about Mary Pope Osborne who is an eminent American children’s book writer. With her use of vivid imagination in the stories, she has captured the hearts of millions of young and old around the globe.
This download includes the following worksheets:
- Mary Pope Osborne Facts
- Knowing Mary
- Magic Tree House
- Growing Up
- Writing Career
- My Autobiography
- Famous Authors
- Mary’s Legacy
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as Mary Pope Osborne Facts & Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, January 18, 2018
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.