Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
Table of Contents
Mesut Özil is a German football player and a midfielder for the Süper Lig club Fenerbahçe. He is known for his playmaking and passing skills.
See the fact file below for more information on Mesut Özil or alternatively, you can download our 29-page Mesut Özil worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment.
Key Facts & Information
- Özil was born on October 15, 1988 in Gelsenkirchen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.
- He is a third-generation Turkish-German and grew up speaking Turkish. Ozil’s grandfather moved to Germany as a migrant laborer from Turkey. He is a Muslim.
- His parents are Gulizar and Mustafa Özil. He has two sisters named Nese and Dugyu, and a brother named Mutlu.
- He spent his youth career in the local club Rot-Weiss Essen. He was trained in the youth system of Schalke 04.
- He debuted for the senior team of Schalke 04 in 2006. Özil drew media attention for his potential.
- In 2008, he moved to Werder Bremen after failed salary deals with Schalke. Other German clubs were reportedly interested in Özil as well.
- Though Werder Bremen struggled to top the German league, Özil regularly provided assists.
- He helped his club finish second in the 2008-09 UEFA Cup. Özil scored the winning goal in the 2009 DFB-Pokal Final.
- Özil was soon in demand among European clubs after his performance at the 2010 World Cup.
- He was signed by Real Madrid in August 2010. Özil helped them win the 2011 Copa del Rey Final.
- He was highly praised in his first season as he showed his playmaking and passing skills.
- Özil garnered the most assists in the league as Real Madrid topped the 2011–12 La Liga. They also won the 2012 Supercopa de España.
- Though Real Madrid finished second in the 2012–13 La Liga, Özil garnered the most assists once more.
- He was included in the UEFA Team of the Year in 2012 and 2013.
- He transferred to the English club Arsenal in 2013. Real Madrid players expressed their anger that the club allowed Özil’s transfer.
- He soon proved to be a crucial assist provider. Arsenal’s manager Arsène Wenger constantly praised Özil’s contribution to the club.
- Arsenal won the FA Cup during the 2013–14, 2014–15, and 2016–17 seasons.
- Özil helped Arsenal win the 2015 FA Community Shield.
- He was named the 2015–16 Arsenal Player of the Season. In the same year, he had the most assists in the Premier League.
- Despite injuries, Özil’s performance in the 2017–18 season was praised as he continued to provide assists.
- Özil’s declining appearances for Arsenal were rumored to be caused by his political activism.
- Arsenal lost the 2019 UEFA Europa League Final.
- In 2021, he transferred to the Turkish club Fenerbahçe, a club he supported as a child.
- Though he was eligible to play for Turkey, Özil chose Germany.
- In 2006, Özil was called up for Germany’s under-19 team. The following year, he was included in the under-21 team.
- In 2009, he scored and helped Germany win the UEFA European Under-21 Championship.
- Özil debuted for the senior team in 2009.
- He participated in the 2010 FIFA World Cup where Germany finished third.
- During the UEFA Euro 2012, Özil was included in the Team of the Tournament.
- He started in all of Germany’s matches at the 2014 FIFA World Cup, where they eventually finished as champions after defeating Argentina in the final.
- Özil participated in the UEFA Euro 2016.
- He was included in the German squad that was shockingly eliminated early on in the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
- He was named the German Player of the Year from 2011-2013 and 2015-2016.
- In 2018, he retired from the national team, citing racist abuse.
Outside of Football
- Özil married Amine Gülşe, a Turkish actress, in 2019. In March 2020, they welcomed a daughter named Eda.
- He is known for his activism and philanthropy. Özil donated his 2014 World Cup prize money to fund the medical surgery of Brazilian children.
- In 2016, he visited a refugee camp in Jordan. He signed autographs and gave football jerseys to the refugees.
- Özil often raises awareness about the mistreatment of Muslims worldwide. He advocates for fair treatment for Asians in football.
- He has funded medical procedures and worked with charities that support sick children.
- During Ramadan in 2021, Özil donated food packages around Turkey in partnership with the Turkish Red Crescent.
- He is skilled at chess.
- He speaks English, German, Turkish, and some Spanish.
- He released an autobiography in 2017 entitled Gunning for Greatness.
Mesut Özil Worksheets
This is a fantastic bundle that includes everything you need to know about Lance Armstrong across 29 in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use worksheets that are perfect for teaching students about Mesut Özil who is a German football player and a midfielder for the Süper Lig club Fenerbahçe.
Complete List Of Included Worksheets
- Mesut Özil Facts
- Meeting Özil
- Fill in the Times
- People’s Player
- Ball of Truth
- Logos and Clues
- Testing Özil
- Which Team Was It?
- Working with the Best
- Pushing the Limits
- Wall of Memories
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as Mesut Özil Facts & Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, December 23, 2021
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.