Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
Burgas is a city on Bulgaria’s Black Sea coast. At its heart, the Church of Saint Cyril and Methodius is known for striking stained-glass windows over its main entrance. Nearby, the Ethnographic Museum explores Bulgarian folk culture, with colorful costumes and everyday items.
See the fact file below for more information on the Burgas or alternatively, you can download our 21-page Burgas worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment.
Key Facts & Information
- The city did not really start to develop until the late 19th century, after Burgas was liberated by Russian troops, led by Colonel Lermontov.
- After nearly 500 years of oppression, Bulgaria’s sights were firmly focused on Europe, in particular Imperial Austria, which explains why so much of the architecture in Burgas resembles turn of the century Austria.
- The first town hall was founded in February 1878, the first public library opened in 1888 and three years later the first urban plan of Burgas was presented.
- In the city center and along the seafront many buildings from that era have been beautifully restored and add immensely to the beauty and charm of the city.
- Burgas is situated in the westernmost point of the bay of the same name and in the eastern part of the Burgas Plain, in the east of the Upper Thracian Plain.
- Burgas is located 389 kilometres (242 mi) from Sofia, 272 km (169 mi) from Plovdiv, and 335 km (208 mi) from Istanbul.
- Burgas has a humid subtropical climate with some continental influences.
- The summertime in Burgas lasts about five months from mid-May until late September.
- The average temperature during high season is 24 °C. Summertime sea temperatures stay around 23 °C-24 °C at sunrise and go up to 29 °C-30 °C at dawn, averaging 26 °C.
- Winters are milder compared with the inland part of the country, with average temperatures of 4 °C-5 °C and below 0 °C during the night.
- Snow is possible in December, January, February and rarely in March.
- Snow falls in winter only several times and can quickly melt.
- Burgas Municipality is the most important cultural center in Southeastern Bulgaria with long cultural traditions in the area of music, poetry, theatre and fine arts.
- Burgas is considered to be the most romantic town in Bulgaria for its small streets in the center, the old houses, and the Sea Garden.
- History of the region is presented in the Archaeological and Historical Museum and the traditions and lifestyle of the local population in the Ethnographical Museum.
- The natural resources of Burgas and the region are presented in Natural History Museum.
- Burgas Free University is a higher educational institution established with an act of the Great National Assembly on September 18, 1991.
- It is one of the first non-state universities in Bulgaria, established in the biggest industrial and cultural center in the south-eastern region of the country-Burgas.
- Burgas Free University (BFU) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as bachelor degrees, master degrees, and doctorate degrees in several areas of study.
- Poda Conservation center
- This conservation center, about 8 km south of Burgas, was established in 1998 to protect the habitat and offers visitors an excellent chance to spot numerous scarce and endangered birds.
- St Anastasia Island
- This small volcanic island makes for a fun day of exploring. The island is today dominated by a lighthouse and a monastery, where visitors can sample various healing herb potions.
- Maritime Park
- Stretching lazily along the Black Sea coast and filled with manicured flower beds, fountains, busts of Bulgarian worthies, abstract sculptures, and cafes, this park is the pride of Burgas.
- Archaeological Museum
- This small museum houses a diverting collection of local finds including Neolithic flint tools, a wooden canoe from the 5th century BC, Greek statuary, and the remarkably well-preserved wooden coffin of a Thracian chieftain.
This is a fantastic bundle which includes everything you need to know about the Burgas across 21 in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use Burgas worksheets that are perfect for teaching students about the Burgas which is a city on Bulgaria’s Black Sea coast. At its heart, the Church of Saint Cyril and Methodius is known for striking stained-glass windows over its main entrance. Nearby, the Ethnographic Museum explores Bulgarian folk culture, with colorful costumes and everyday items.
Complete List Of Included Worksheets
- Burgas Facts
- Dream City
- Complete Me
- Words to Know
- What’s News
- Five Facts
- Burgas Word Hunt
- Travel Guide
- Burg Sketch
- Good or Trash
- Only in Burgas
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as Burgas Facts & Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, January 10, 2020
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.