Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
Manama is the modern capital of the Arabian Gulf island nation of Bahrain. It has been at the center of major trade routes since antiquity. Its acclaimed Bahrain National Museum showcases artifacts from the ancient Dilmun civilization that flourished in the region for millennia.
See the fact file below for more information on the Manama or alternatively, you can download our 19-page Manama worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment.
Key Facts & Information
- Manama, Arabic Al-Manāmah, is the capital and largest city of the state and emirate of Bahrain. It lies at the northeast tip of Bahrain island, in the Persian Gulf. About one-fifth of the emirate’s population lives in the city.
- First mentioned in Islamic chronicles in about AD 1345, it was taken by the Portuguese (1521) and by the Persians (1602). It has been held, with brief interruptions, by the ruling Āl Khalīfah dynasty since 1783.
- Because Bahrain concluded a series of treaties (1861–1914) placing the country under increasing British protection, there was a British political agent stationed at Manama from 1900, subject to the political resident for the Persian Gulf, whose headquarters were long at Bushire, Iran.
- Although the current twin cities of Manama and Muharraq appear to have been founded simultaneously in the 1800s, Muharraq took prominence due to its defensive location and was thus the capital of Bahrain until 1921.
- Manama became the mercantile capital and was the gateway to the main Bahrain Island. In the 20th century, Bahrain’s oil wealth helped spur fast growth and, in the 1990s, a concerted diversification effort led to expansion in other industries and helped transform Manama into an important financial hub in the Middle East.
- Manama was designated as the capital of Arab culture by the Arab League in 2012, and a beta global city by the Globalization and World Cities Research Network in 2018.
- The estimated 2019 population of Bahrain is 1.64 million people.
- Bahrain is the 152nd most populated country in the world.
- Bahrain is very densely populated with 1,627 people per square kilometer (4,213/square mile), which ranks 7th in the world.
- Bahrain is the 4th most densely populated sovereign state on earth.
- Long an important commercial centre of the northern Persian Gulf, the traditional economy of Manama, Bahrain was based on pearling, fishing, boatbuilding, and import trade.
- Harbour facilities were poor; ocean vessels had to anchor in the open roadstead 2–4 miles (3–6 km) offshore. The discovery of petroleum in Bahrain (1932) revolutionized the city’s economy and appearance, with the construction of many modern buildings.
- Manama developed as a trade, financial, and commercial centre. It is the seat of numerous banks. Today, Manama is a metropolis with high rise buildings and skyscrapers with a diverse population.
- Manama Souq is a warren of narrow streets and alleyways emanating south from Bab Al Bahrain where electronic goods, bargain t-shirts, spices, and shisha pipes are found.
- Another reason to visit is to wander through the bustling streets of a market that still evokes the atmosphere of an ancient souq.
- Home to a variety of showrooms and workshops, this centre promotes the revival of traditional Bahraini crafts, such as weaving, palm-leaf paper making, pottery, jewellery making, and ironwork.
- All the work is for sale, and the workshops close an hour earlier than the showrooms.
- Most restaurants serve breakfast such as a spongy croissant from different bakeries.
- There are fresh baked delicacies of Café Lilou for a taste of authentic Parisian pastry in Manama. Apart from serving the best breakfast in Bahrain, Café Lilou also offers delicious snacks and starters.
- For those who just cannot have enough of Oriental dishes, The Rice Bowl is the perfect pick. This restaurant offers not just decadent Chinese delicacies, but authentic Indian dishes too. From kung pao chicken to chicken tikka masala, The Rice Bowl is the perfect restaurant to visit.
- For the best steak in all of Manama, one can head to the bohemian neighbourhood, Adilya, which offers a bunch of global cuisines, as well as popular rib-eye steaks.
This is a fantastic bundle which includes everything you need to know about the Manama across 19 in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use Manama worksheets that are perfect for teaching students about the Manama which is the modern capital of the Arabian Gulf island nation of Bahrain. It has been at the center of major trade routes since antiquity. Its acclaimed Bahrain National Museum showcases artifacts from the ancient Dilmun civilization that flourished in the region for millennia.
Complete List Of Included Worksheets
- Manama Facts
- Give Me Five!
- Manama Timeline
- Dream City
- Manama Crossword
- Words to Know
- World’s Capital Cities
- Be a Tour Guide
- A Visual Trip
- Narrate the Words
- Manama Analysis
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as Manama Facts & Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, October 31, 2019
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.