Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
The Tropic of Capricorn is an imaginary line of latitude going around the Earth at approximately 23.5° south of the equator. It is the southernmost point on Earth where the sun’s rays can be directly overhead at local noon. It is also one of the five major circles of latitude dividing the Earth
See the fact file below for more information about the Tropic of Capricorn or alternatively you can download our comprehensive worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment.
- The Tropic of Capricorn (or the Southern Tropic) is the circle of latitude that contains the subsolar point on the December (or southern) solstice. It is thus the southernmost latitude where the sun can be directly overhead.
- Tropic of Capricorn passes mainly through water because there is less land for it to cross in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Around 2,000 years ago, the sun crossed into the constellation of Capricorn at the winter solstice around December 21. This resulted in this line of latitude being named the Tropic of Capricorn. The name Capricorn itself comes from the Latin word caper, meaning goat and was the name given to the constellation.
- The tropics experience little difference between seasons so, between the Tropic of Capricorn and the Tropic of Cancer (which is an equal distance north of the Equator), life is generally warm and sunny.
Tropic Of Capricorn Worksheets
This bundle contains 9 ready-to-use Tropic Of Capricorn Worksheets that are perfect for students who want to learn more about the Tropic of Capricorn which is an imaginary line of latitude going around the Earth at approximately 23.5° south of the equator. It is the southernmost point on Earth where the sun’s rays can be directly overhead at local noon. It is also one of the five major circles of latitude dividing the Earth
Download includes the following worksheets:
- Tropic of Capricorn Facts
- ToC Landmarks – Ground Zero
- Quick Quiz
- Enter the Winter – December 21
- Capricorn Pass – African Pass
- The South Americas
- Meet Australia
- More Capricorn – The Zodiac
- Word Creator
- To Sum Up
- Key Answer
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as Tropic Of Capricorn Facts & Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, November 3, 2017
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.