Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
Basketball is a sport played by two teams of five players on a rectangular court. The objective is to shoot a ball through a hoop 10 feet high mounted to a backboard at each end. It was invented in 1891 by James Naismith, a teacher at a YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts, who was looking for an indoor recreational activity. See the basketball fact file below for more information.
- In 1891, James Naismith, a teacher at a YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts, is credited with inventing basketball. He was looking for an indoor recreational activity.
- The first basketball hoops were actually just peach baskets and the first backboards were made of wire. The backboard was added because the audience who watched the game from the balcony used to interfere in the game by handling the ball. The incorporation of the backboard prevented that from happening.
- Basketball did not become an Olympic event until the 1936, Summer Games in Berlin, Germany.
- Two leagues called the National Basketball League (NBL) and the Basketball Association of America (BAA) merged after the 1948-49 season to become today’s National Basketball Association (NBA).
- The main objective in basketball is to score points by placing the ball in the opponent’s basket. The basket is kept at a height of 10 ft.
- There are 5 five players each on both the teams. The positions are: Point guard, Shooting guard, Small forward, Power forward, and Center.
- Basketball, played at the international level is divided in 10 min quarters; while in the NBA League, the quarters are of 12 min each.
- The first basketball game was held on January 20, 1892. The court was half the size of courts used at the NBA League today and only one point was scored in the whole match. In this game, there were nine players in each team.
- Michael Jordan is considered a legend in the world of basketball. The record score of 5,987 that he has set is still unbroken in the NBA. Michael Jordan led the US team in Olympics which won gold medals in 1984 and 1992.
- The Boston Celtics franchise has won the most NBA championships (16) in history.
This bundle contains 11 ready-to-use Basketball Worksheets that are perfect for students who want to learn more about Basketball which is a sport played by two teams of five players on a rectangular court. The objective is to shoot a ball through a hoop 10 feet high mounted to a backboard at each end.
Download includes the following worksheets:
- Basketball Facts
- Word Search
- Basketball Beginnings
- Referee Duties
- What a Move!
- Labeling Court Parts
- Who is MJ?
- Guess the Player
- NBA Report
- Basketball in Many Forms
- My Favorite Player
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as Basketball Facts & Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, May 7, 2017
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.