Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
Number line is a horizontal straight line with numbers at specific intervals. It helps to visually represent numbers. The number line can be extended in both directions. It is taught at primary level because it acts as a ladder for learning all future concepts in mathematics.
See the fact file below for more information on the number line or alternatively, you can download our 28-page Number Line worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment. This worksheet is broken down by Beginner, intermediate and advanced meaning you can choose the complexity level for your student.
Key Facts & Information
- Number line: horizontal straight line with numbers at specific intervals
- Given a specific number, digits on the right will be greater than that number and digits on the left will be smaller than that number
- Helps to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication etc.
- When adding numbers jump towards right
- When subtracting numbers jump towards left
- Basic skill helps in developing strong foundation
What is a number line?
- In simple words we can say that a number line is a straight line with numbers written on it. These numbers are written at equal intervals on the line.
- It helps to visually represent numbers.
- The number line can be extended in both directions.
- It is taught at primary level because it acts as a ladder for learning all future concepts in mathematics. After getting familiar with counting, number line acts as a foundation and helps children learn addition and subtraction more quickly. It helps to solve math problems.
- Here we will start with giving you an example of how a simple number line looks:
How we use a number line:
- A number extends in both directions. As we move from left to right the numbers on the line increase and when we move backwards, from right to left the number decrease.
- This is further explained in examples given below.
- Lets pick any number randomly on the number line. Suppose we pick 3:
- Any number present on the right side of three is greater than three and any number present on left side will be less than three.
- That means 0, 1, 2 are less than 3 and 4, 5, 6, 7 are greater than 3. If we choose 6 we can say that 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 are less than 6 and 7 is greater than 6.
- Similarly for any number we can easily find the numbers greater and lesser than that number. Hence it is easy for us to compare numbers and find which value is greater or lesser. This makes calculations easier and we can visually understand the concept.
- We can use a number line that has negatives numbers. An example of number line containing negative numbers is given below.
- This number line has positive and negative numbers both. When we move from left to right starting from zero , we get positive numbers. When we move from right to left starting from zero, we get negative numbers.
- Lets pick any negative number on the number line. Suppose we choose -3.
- All the numbers present on the right side of -3 are greater than -3 and all the numbers present on the left side are lesser than -3.
- Here we can say that -4 is lesser than -3 and -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 are greater than -3.
- Comparing negative numbers is always tricky in the beginning but number line helps us to visualize these numbers and compare them.
Number line for basic addition and subtraction
- Number line is a very helpful tool when solving math problems.
- Difficult concepts like addition and subtraction can be easily solved visually by using a number line.
- The important thing to remember is that when we are adding two numbers we jump towards the right side and when we are subtracting two numbers, we jump towards the left side. This will further be explained with examples.
- We will start with a simple problem. Consider two numbers 1 and 2 . We decide to add these numbers to get the total.
1 + 2
- We will make 1 as the starting point and jump 2 units towards right. We will land on the number 3 which is the solution to our addition problem.
- Now if we choose to solve another addition problem and add the numbers 2 and 4 then we proceed as follows:
2 + 4
- We will start with 2 as the pivot point and jump four units towards right. The landing position gives the answer to our addition problem. In this case the solution will be 6.
- As mentioned earlier if we want to subtract two numbers, we jump towards the left side. Now as an example we choose two subtract 2 from 3.
3 – 2
- We start with 3 as our pivot point and jump 2 units towards left. The landing position will give the solution to the subtraction problem. In this case the solution will be 1.
Why is number line important?
- It can help us solve addition and subtraction problems.
- It can help us solve multiplication problems.
- We can have a better understanding of numbers and visualize different operations performed on these numbers.
- It helps to develop mental strategy when solving problems.
- We can perform calculations faster.
Number Line Worksheets
This is a fantastic bundle which includes everything you need to know about number line across 28 in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use Number Line worksheets that are perfect for teaching students about the number line which is a horizontal straight line with numbers at specific intervals. It helps to visually represent numbers. The number line can be extended in both directions. It is taught at primary level because it acts as a ladder for learning all future concepts in mathematics.
Complete List Of Included Worksheets
- Worksheet 1 (Beginner)
- Worksheet 2 (Beginner)
- Worksheet 3 (Beginner)
- Worksheet 4 (Beginner
- Worksheet 5 (Intermediate)
- Worksheet 6 (Intermediate)
- Worksheet 7 (Intermediate)
- Worksheet 8 (Intermediate)
- Worksheet 9 (Advance)
- Worksheet 10 (Advance)
- Worksheet 11 (Advance)
- Worksheet 12 (Advance)
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as Number Line Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, March 29, 2019
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.