Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
Table of Contents
Subtraction sentences are mathematical expressions or equations. The expressions include the subtraction sign “-” and the equal sign “=”. Every number in the expression is called a term. These sentences help us solve subtraction problems.
See the fact file below for more information on the subtraction sentences or alternatively, you can download our 28-page Subtraction Sentences worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment. This worksheet is broken down by Beginner, intermediate and advanced meaning you can choose the complexity level for your student.
Key Facts & Information
- Subtraction sentences are mathematical expressions of the form:
- These help us solve subtraction problems.
- We can find missing terms with the help of subtraction sentences.
What is subtraction?
- Subtraction is a mathematical operation like addition, multiplication and division. In subtraction we take a number or quantity away from another number or quantity. The symbol used for subtraction is “-”. Sometimes we also define subtraction by saying that we take a set away from a larger set.
- We can perform subtraction on smaller single digit numbers, double digit numbers and even larger numbers. Subtraction is very important as we use it often on daily basis when we do our daily routine tasks.
- Subtraction sentences are mathematical expressions or equations. The expressions include the subtraction sign “-” and the equal sign “=” . Every number in the expression is called a term. These sentences help us solve subtraction problems.
Single digit subtraction
- In single digit subtraction we perform subtraction on single digit numbers. Here are examples of single digit subtraction sentences:
3 – 1 = 2
8 – 2 = 6
7 – 4 = 3
Double digit subtraction
- In double digit subtraction we perform subtraction on two digit numbers. Here are examples of double digit subtraction sentences:
20 – 10 = 10
15 – 4 = 11
12 – 3 = 9
- In all the above sentences we have three terms.
Solving subtraction sentences
- There can be a missing terms in subtraction sentences. Here we will give a few examples of missing terms and how we can solve such expressions:
5 – 1 = ____
8 – 3 = ____
4 – 2 = ____
8 – 5 = ____
- Here the missing terms are on the right side of the equation and all other terms or on the other side of the equation. These missing terms can be easily found by solving the left hand side of the equation. So the solutions of the above subtraction sentences are as follows:
5 – 1 = 4
8 – 3 = 5
4 – 2 = 2
8 – 5 = 3
- Here 4, 5, 2 and 3 are the missing terms.
- If the missing term is on the other side of the equation then we have to rearrange the sentence to find the missing term. Here are a few examples of subtraction sentences with missing terms on the other side of the equation:
3 – ____ = 2
6 – ____ = 3
12 – ____ = 5
- To solve these sentences we move the missing terms to the right side and subtract the terms on the right side from the given terms on the left side. This rearrangement is shown below:
3 – 2 = ____
6 – 3 = ____
10 – 8 = ____
12 – 5 = ____
- By solving the left hand side we will get our missing terms:
3 – 2 = 1
6 – 3 = 3
10 – 8 = 2
12 – 5 = 7
- Hence 1, 3, 2 and 7 are the missing terms.
Importance of subtraction sentences
- These sentences help us represent and solve subtraction problems. We can interpret word problems into mathematical sentences and then solve them. Subtraction is a fundamental mathematical operation and is used very often. Such sentences make it easier for us to solve these problems.
- What subtraction sentences do the given pictures represent:
- There are seven total balls in the picture. Three of the balls are separated so the subtraction sentence for this will be:
7 – 3 = 4
- There are six total balls in the picture. Four of the balls are separated. So the subtraction sentence for this will be:
6 – 4 = 2
- Find the missings terms in the sentences:
12 – 5 = ?
17 – 7 = ?
14 – ? = 10
8 – ? = 7
- The first missing term can be found by subtracting 5 from 12. So the resulting missing term is 7.
12 – 5 = 7
- The second missing term can be found by subtracting 7 from 17. So the resulting missing term is 10.
17 – 7 = 10
- For the third missing term we have to rearrange. So the missing term is given by:
14 – 10 = 4
- The missing term is 4.
- For the fourth missing term we have to rearrange again. The missing term is given by:
8 – 7 = 1
- The missing term is 1.
- Ben has 20 action figures. He gave 4 of his action figures to Robin. How many action figures does Ben have?
- Ben had 20 action figures initially.
total action figures = 20
- He gave 4 of his actions figures to Robin.
Robin’s action figures = 4
- So now to find Ben’s action figure we use the following subtraction sentence:
action figures left = total action figures – Robin’s action figures
action figures left = 20 – 4
action figures left = 16
- So after giving 4 action figures to Robin, Ben has 16 action figures left.
Subtraction Sentences Worksheets
This is a fantastic bundle which includes everything you need to know about subtraction sentences across 28 in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use Subtraction Sentences worksheets that are perfect for teaching students about the subtraction sentences which are mathematical expressions or equations. The expressions include the subtraction sign “-” and the equal sign “=”. Every number in the expression is called a term. These sentences help us solve subtraction problems.
Complete List Of Included Worksheets
- Worksheet 1 (Beginner)
- Worksheet 2 (Beginner)
- Worksheet 3 (Beginner)
- Worksheet 4 (Beginner
- Worksheet 5 (Intermediate)
- Worksheet 6 (Intermediate)
- Worksheet 7 (Intermediate)
- Worksheet 8 (Intermediate)
- Worksheet 9 (Advance)
- Worksheet 10 (Advance)
- Worksheet 11 (Advance)
- Worksheet 12 (Advance)
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as Subtraction Sentences Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, March 29, 2019
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.