- Kids need to know how to safely ride a bicycle, rollerblades or skateboard. Helmets should always be worn when participating in these activities.
- “Stranger Danger” rules need to be understood and followed. Children should always let their parents, or a trusted adult, know where they are going to be at all times. Children should also travel outside in groups or with a friend.
- Playground, school, bus and home safety rules need to always be followed.
- Smoke detectors need to be installed in everyone’s home, and a fire exit plan needs to be created and discussed as a family. Children should also understand how important it is to STOP, DROP and ROLL if any of their clothing or hair catches on fire. Never play around a hot stove!
- Seat belts and car seats should be used whenever anyone is riding in a car. Children should also work hard not to distract the driver of the vehicle they are riding in.
- All children need to know the rules for safely utilizing the Internet and email.
- Children should never take any medication without it being given by a parent or adult guardian.
- Electricity is always dangerous. Children should never play with electrical cords or electrical outlets. Never play with anything that is plugged into an outlet when it’s around water.
- Care must always be the guide when using scissors and other sharp objects.
In order to remain safe, children need to know and follow the safety rules in all areas of their lives. See the fact file below for more information and facts on safety for kids.