Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
Dwight Howard is an American professional basketball player who plays center for the Washington Wizards of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He is best known in the NBA for his rebound abilities.
See the fact file below for more information on the Dwight Howard or alternatively, you can download our 24-page Dwight Howard worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment.
Key Facts & Information
Early Life and High School Basketball
- Dwight David Howard was born in Atlanta, Georgia on December 8, 1985.
- He was a miracle child to parents Dwight Howard Sr. and Sheryl Howard, coming after 7 miscarriages the couple suffered.
- Sports runs in the Howard family as his father used to be a state level basketball player and is now serving as athletic director at the Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy while his mother played basketball in Morris Brown college.
- Dwight spent his preschool to highschool years in Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy.
- He mostly played as power forward in all four years of high school basketball and by senior year, he was widely known as the best American high school player of his class.
- He wears the jersey number 12, reversing 21, the jersey number of his idol and favorite basketball player Kevin Garnett.
- Dwight received four player of the year awards from different institutions after leading his team to a 31-2 record capturing the 2004 state title. He also received a co-MVP award.
- He decided to forego college and announced his intention to enter the 2004 NBA draft where he was the Orlando Magic’s first overall pick.
- During the first three seasons that he played for the Orlando Magic, he was part of the starting roster for every single game.
- He became the youngest NBA player to average double digits of points and rebounds. He is also the youngest player to do 20 rebounds in a game.
- In his second season, he transitioned to be a full-fledged center and started working on his defenses and post-up games.
- By 2007, he has established himself as one of the best players in the league.
- Dwight earned the nickname “Superman” when he won the NBA Slam Dunk Contest in 2008 where he wore a red cape while performing the dunk.
- By 2011, he became the first NBA player to be named defensive player of the year for three consecutive seasons.
- He recorded a playoff career-high 46 points and 19 rebounds during a game against Atlanta Hawks during the first round of the 2011 NBA Playoffs.
- Dwight became Orlando Magic’s all-time scoring leader during a game against the Golden State Warriors finishing with 45 points and 23 rebounds.
- At the end of the 2011-12 season, Dwight was traded from the Orlando Magic to the Los Angeles Lakers on August 10, 2012, a move which he suffered great backlash for.
- Nursing a back injury, Dwight had to undergo surgery and his recovery took six months, making him miss most of the pre-season games.
- He injured his shoulder during a game against Los Angeles Clippers in January 2013, affecting his offensive and defensive performances.
- On July 13, 2013, Dwight officially signed with the Houston Rockets.
- He recorded a career high 26 rebounds during a game against the Charlotte Bobcats, his first game playing for the Rockets.
- A strained right knee caused him to miss 26 games in total during the 2014-15 season. When he returned to play, he recorded the 10,000th rebound of his career.
- In December of 2015, he reached 15,000 points in his career during a game his team lost to the Los Angeles Clippers.
- Dwight became a free agent before signing with the Atlanta Hawks on July 12, 2016.
- He entered the season as the lead rebounder and blocker in the league.
- The Hawks traded Dwight to the Charlotte Hornets on June 20, 2017.
- He became the first Hornets player to play a 20-20 game since 2013, recording 25 points and 20 rebounds in a game against the Minnesota Timberwolves.
- He is the eighth player in the entire league to record a 30-30 game. He finished his season for the Hornets with 53 double-doubles, making it a franchise-record.
- Currently, Dwight is signed with the Washington Wizards. He debuted for the team in a game against the Oklahoma City Thunder on November 2, 2018.
- Dwight won the NBA Defensive Player of the Year thrice and he is a four-time All NBA Defensive First Team.
- He is also an eight-time NBA All-Star player and a five-time All-NBA First Team.
- He was the NBA Rebounds Leader five times and holds the record for the highest defensive rating of 99.1.
- Dwight’s overall statistics are better than most of his contemporaries, making him a perfect candidate for the NBA Hall of Fame.
- He was named to the US National Team for the 2006 FIBA World Championships held in Japan where they won bronze.
- He is also an Olympic medalist, helping Team USA win during the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, ending the country’s eight-year drought for gold.
- Dwight is a father of five children from five different women who live in three different states.
- He keeps 20 snakes as his pets and has appeared twice in the Animal Planet’s reality series “Tanked”. He also owns a farm in north Georgia.
- Dwight established the Dwight D. Howard Foundation Inc. in 2004, which provides scholarships for future students of Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy and gives grants to Lovell Elementary School and Memorial Middle School of Orlando, Florida.
- He was awarded the 2005 Rich and Helen De Vos Community Enrichment Award for his efforts and contributions to the community of Central Florida.
- Dwight joined the Hoops for St. Jude charity program in 2009 to benefit the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
Dwight Howard Worksheets
This is a fantastic bundle which includes everything you need to know about Dwight Howard across 24 in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use Dwight Howard worksheets that are perfect for teaching students about Dwight Howard who is an American professional basketball player who plays center for the Washington Wizards of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He is best known in the NBA for his rebound abilities.
Complete List Of Included Worksheets
- Dwight Howard Facts
- Dwight’s Bio
- Where’s My Team?
- Team Timeline
- Howard’s Awards
- Major Leagues
- True or Foul
- NBA Hall of Fame
- Beyond Basketball
- Coach Dwight
- Design My Jersey
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as Dwight Howard Facts & Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, December 3, 2018
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.