- Dragons are creatures from mythology that have magical powers.
- Many modern authors have used dragons in their stories. J.R.R. Tolkien has Smaug in The Hobbit and J.K. Rowling introduces dragons that challenge the characters in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
- Dragons are snake or reptile-like creatures that are gigantic and powerful.
- They can usually fly and breathe fire or ice.
- They fly using large wings and their bodies are covered with scales, as is their long tales.
- Many dragons have red, slanted eyes.
- They can be fierce or they can be kind and helpful.
- Depending on the culture, dragons can posses many different kinds of powers.
- Dragons are very popular in China. The phoenix is a dragon that has five claws and was a symbol for the emperors in China.
- The Latin word draco, as in the constellation Draco, comes directly from Greek drakones. The Dragon is sometimes known by the Nordic word, ormr (Old English wyrm means serpent — draca means dragon).
Animal Planet: Dragons
Dragon Coloring Pages
Dragon History: Ancient Accounts
Dragon Information and Dragon Pictures
Dragons and Their Astronomical History
Dragons and Winged Serpents
Dragons in Ancient China
Dragons in Ancient China 1