Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
Table of Contents
Asia is the largest continent in the world and has a ground area of 17,212,000 square miles. It has a population of more than 4 billion which is more than all of the other continents combined.
See the fact file below for more information on the Asia or alternatively, you can download our 26-page Asia Continent worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment.
Key Facts & Information
Etymology and Background
- The name of the continent originated from the word Ἀσία which is an Ancient Greek word which first originated with Herodotus when he mentioned it in some of his works as Anatolia, which is known today as Turkey.
- Asia has long been home to most of the earth’s population, and was the site of many first civilizations.
- A lot of events took place on this continent, which is why a lot of historical places can be found here and even though much time has passed, many of these places are still present. Sadly some of them have vanished for several reasons like natural disasters, wars, etc.
- Most of the largest cities in the world are located in Asia, including Mumbai, Tokyo, Guangzhou, Istanbul, Karachi, Tianjin, Shanghai, and New Delhi.
- Asia also has the longest coastline – it measures a whopping 62,800 km long.
- It is also on this continent that you can find the Himalayas which lie in the vicinity of Nepal and China.
- It is in Asia that the highest and lowest points of land are located: Mount Everest, which is the world’s most elevated mountain, and The Dead Sea, which is the world’s lowest land point.
- In 2010, the number of millionaires in Asia increased significantly, falling only 100,000 people short of those in North America, leaving Asia in second place.
- The most common religion that Asian people are affiliated to is Christianity.
- The country with the highest GDP in Asia is China with 25,313,268 USD.
- When it comes to economy, Asia has the largest GDP Nominal and PPP among all the continents in the world.
- The majority of Asian countries have multiple languages and dialects. India has the most languages, with over 800!
- The most disastrous pandemic in the world which originated in Asia, particularly Eurasia, was fleas that came from rodents.
- The largest and the smallest country in terms of land area are located in Asia, namely Russia as the largest, and Maldives as the smallest.
- The third longest river in the world can be found in Asia, specifically China, and is called the Yangtze River.
- It is also where you can find the most number of people in a country – namely China and India. Each of them has over one billion people living in their country.
- Agriculture is the main source of income for people who are living in Southeast Asia. Also, they rely on monsoon rains and mild storms to create bumper crops.
- The Japanese people have the second highest lifespan in the world with many people reaching 100 years old and above.
- The world’s most continuous sandy desert is located in Saudi Arabia.
- The deepest and largest freshwater lake in the world is located in Asia and is called Lake Baikal, which can be found on the mountainous border of Siberia and Mongolia.
- This continent is said to produce 90% of the rice that is consumed globally.
- The only man-made structure that is visible from outer space is the Great Wall of China, which is found in Asia.
- The most active volcanoes in the world are Mt. Kelut and Mt. Merapi which are located on the island of Java, in Asia.
- The most widely used language in the world originates from Asia, specifically China, which is called “Mandarin Chinese”.
- There are two countries that fall onto two continents: Turkey and Russia are both located in Asia and Europe.
- The largest cave can also be found in Asia in the country of Vietnam. The cave is called “Son Doong”.
- The world’s largest archipelago can be found in Indonesia and is made up of 17,000 islands.
- The record holder for the most number of tourists to visit a city is in Asia – particularly Bangkok in Thailand.
- Southeast Asia is the home of the biggest flower in the world: the Rafflesia Arnoldii.
- It is said that there are 44 places in Asia that are still untouched by humans. Most of them are found in Indonesia.
- The largest island in the world is located in Southeast Asia and is called “Borneo”.
- The fifth largest desert in the world is called the Gobi desert, which can be found in Asia.
- The largest lake can also be found in Asia and is called the “Caspian Sea”. It is in the vicinity of Azerbaijan, Iran, Kazakhstan, Russia, and Turkmenistan.
Asia Continent Worksheets
This is a fantastic bundle which includes everything you need to know about Asia across 26 in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use Asia Continent worksheets that are perfect for teaching students about the Asia which is the largest continent in the world and has a ground area of 17,212,000 square miles. It has a population of more than 4 billion which is more than all of the other continents combined.
Complete List Of Included Worksheets
- Asia Facts
- Today I Learned that…
- Let’s Go Oriental
- It Starts with the Capital
- Around the Word
- Numbers Game
- Fill in the Gaps!
- Asian Currencies
- Asia’s Wonders
- Asian Languages
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as Asia (Continent) Facts & Worksheets: https://kidskonnect.com - KidsKonnect, October 31, 2018
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.